Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Time is Now: Africa Beckons


It was a welcome day when an invitation was extended by Child Family Health International to travel to southwestern Uganda for a program development fellowship. If I take myself back to that moment, I can still sense the excitement ballooning inside me as these words began to register. I didn't expect Africa to come into my life so suddenly. It was still a dream of the future; one that I was hopeful I would get to, as my curiosity and interests slowly lured me to new places.

In choosing to accept or not, it's never a question of whether I want to go-travel for me is always a privilege. I hesitated momentarily only for the sake of responsibility and whether it's feasible to leave reality as I know it for a month long global health education experience. In the end, it's an invaluable opportunity, in many respects, whose effects will likely extend well beyond my time in Uganda.

In theory, my bags were already packed and my mind already lost in the discovery of new places and new adventures.

This is the direction my life has taken. These are the moments I wait patiently for; opportunities for which I am deeply humbled by.

No comments:

Post a Comment