Monday, September 9, 2013

The Anticipation of Travel


I eagerly await November's arrival. As I see it, the year ahead is a blank slate. Life in California will continue and the commencement of my Masters studies in Denmark next summer is not quite within my reach. The hope is that I can mold this year into time well spent, full of the many things that bring joy into my life and make me thrive. A month long journey to Kabale, Uganda to learn about the community-oriented, holistic work of KIHEFO has come at an opportune time. It is a welcome trip, to say the least, and has given my year an enormous boost.

Getting to know the world intimately is something I have come to hold in the highest regard. The opportunity to venture into new lands and discover an unfamiliar culture is before me, a mere two months away. The anticipation of travel, all of the thoughts and feelings that proceed a particular trip, is something in itself and not without significance. I can already begin to feel the onset of thoughts related to leaving home headed for an entirely new place, flying over lands not yet traversed, and once on the ground the process of familiarizing myself with new surroundings, developing a routine over time, and eventually a sense of comfort and ease in my temporary home away from home; so much so that reality as I know it increasingly gains distance from the experiences of the moment.

From here, moving forward, the lure of travel is only going to get the best of me. I happily surrender.

No comments:

Post a Comment