Friday, September 6, 2013

Going to the Source


I have long felt a strong appreciation for the authenticity of things and understanding them for what they really are. Because of this I have never felt entirely whole in my own environment, where things are largely commercial and processed. Common words used to entice consumers, such as genuine, authentic, handmade, fresh, and organic all too often fail to reveal the truth. This artificiality creates too much of a disconnect with so many things and it becomes difficult, although not impossible, but difficult to find things that are truly authentic.

My more lengthy travels throughout Mexico, India, and currently Uganda have all brought me to the source of so many things; namely food and raw material production. It is always such a pleasure to see where life begins for much of the food and drink I consume, the clothes I wear, and the products I buy at the store. Uganda is rich in natural resources and the land vibrant with crops of all sorts: maize, millet, cassava, bananas, mitoke, sorghum, cabbage, spinach, green peppers, cauliflower, carrots, onions, potatoes, pumpkin, zuccini, eggplant, beans, avocado, rice, pineapple, passion fruit, mango, grapes, sugarcane, tea, coffee, cotton; I have seen all of these. My time in Uganda has allowed me to understand the nature of such crops and to form a connection with them as something other than an item purchased at the market; something far more substantial and meaningful.

A coffee bean ready to be harvested
There is so much to be learnt about life in the so-called developing world. The people are a product of their environment and are characteristically resourceful, innovative, and hardworking. Lacking many of the resources and technology plentiful in developed countries that eases difficult tasks, the people are forced to do things for themselves. In southwestern Uganda the people are working the fields with their bare hands, cooking at home, hand-washing clothes, sewing, walking long distances, transporting abundant materials on bicycles, carrying their children on backs, weaving baskets, fetching water, gathering firewood-all a natural part of many of their daily lives, especially so in rural communities. And I love, so much so, learning from their simplicity and innate ingenuity. 

A fishing village inside Queen Elizabeth National Park

Naturally and happily roaming the land

In southwestern Uganda, where I've spent all of my time, livestock are scattered across the land; everywhere, even alongside roads. This includes cows, goats, sheep, chickens, and pigs. Wherever there is fresh grass to be grazed, there they will be.

Vehicles, cyclists, and pedestrians are frequently forced to share the road with herds of animals.


In the US people are advocating for livestock to be free range, grass fed and hormone free. In Uganda, this is how it's always been. The majority of farmers are subsistence farmers and simply do not have the capacity to engage in mass production of meat and dairy products. A good majority of people, bar those who profit from mass production and large scale farming, would agree that this is undoubtedly for the better; for obvious reasons.

The animals are local, hold great value within a family, lead happier stress free lives, and as result yield healthier, more flavorful products that people can enjoy without feeling skeptical.


And not to mention the raw milk. What a wonderful treat! The flavor is so rich and creamy, full of all the nutrients it was intended to have. Trina calls it "white gold", and without even muttering a word I nod happily in response. We have both been enjoying it thoroughly and plentifully with tea and coffee. For less than 50 cents a liter, it's an absolute bargain.


 Slaughtering of a Rabbit

Never have I been a part of nearly the entire process of putting food on my plate, from start to finish. I emphasize nearly because, of course, I didn't chase down the animal myself and capture it. I haven't been here long enough. I did, however, agree with my lovely friends, Trina and Atayo, that it would be a wonderful Sunday treat to eat one of their rabbits, which they're raising and breeding for exactly this purpose.


Atayo assumed the responsibility of slaughtering the rabbit, using a technique that is quick and pain free. Growing up in a rural village in northern Uganda he has no qualms with this. In fact, when I mentioned that I had a beloved pet rabbit as a child and Trina had long ago fashioned the rabbit with a catchy name, Atayo reminded us that, simply put, animals are food and food means survival. He boastfully shared with us that he killed his first chicken at the age of five. For Atayo, the rabbit always maintained its purpose of being food and unlike myself, he never attempted to humanize it. Trina, having been in Uganda for nearly a year and following Atayo's lead, was becoming a seasoned rabbit breeder.

Trina emphasized the importance of knowing where our food comes from. There is a deeper sense of appreciation and respect for the animal and the sacrifice it makes when you become a part of this process. And she was absolutely right; I needed to understand what was beyond the package of meat I would normally purchase at the market. More so, I wanted to understand this and to eliminate the disconnect.

Atayo preparing to roast the rabbit using an ecostove
Although it wasn't an easy process and I admittedly had my share of stomach pains, I stood by as Atayo slaughtered the rabbit and both him and Trina worked together to properly prepare it for our Sunday night dinner.


 Without hesitation, we ate everything and all of us gave thanks.

A Visitor in Their Home: An Unforgettable Safari Weekend


The feeling is quite indescribable when you're accustomed to watching something so intriguing on television or seeking out information in books, something that's not attainable in your own home; and then the moment comes when it's a part of your reality, standing only meters away and exchanging glances with you. I was fortunate enough to visit Lake Mburo and Queen Elizabeth National Park in southwestern Uganda and be a guest in the home of some of the world's most fascinating and exotic animal and bird life.

For two adventurous days, we drove for miles along rustic, narrow roads surrounded by the expansive and mysterious savanna that extended as far as the eye could see. There were zebra, kob, impala, waterbuck, buffalo, hyenas, lions, hippos, elephants, alligators, monkeys, warthogs, and a colorful array of birds. And of course the animals were free, existing in their natural habitats not enclosed by fences or confined to cages.

I felt so humbled to have experienced such a remarkable encounter with wildlife and sooner than I ever would have dreamed possible.

Yet another worthy example of going to the source in Uganda.



Going Home

There are so many things I enjoy about traveling in the world's so-called south.

The thing I will miss greatly about Uganda is being at the source for much of the food I eat and the things I buy. You really begin to feel so connected with everything and the fact that I struggle to find such authenticity at home saddens me and is very frustrating. Picking produce and herbs directly from the garden for cooking, eating fresh fruits just bursting with intense flavor, purchasing milk daily at the local collection center, partaking in the slaughtering of a rabbit-these are things valuable enough that they have to find a way back into my life; and not just temporarily, but permanently.


It's difficult to strike a perfect balance between the things you love in life and the things you have to tend to. It's certainly not easy to find a place that meets all of your needs. I always discover new things abroad that may hold a great deal of significance, or am reminded of past influences throughout my travels. For the time being, I'm happy enough to take these things home to the States and continue life as I know it.

Going home offers its own sense of relief, as does traveling, and my intent is to alter my time between the two and remember to appreciate each for what they are.



No comments:

Post a Comment